Monday, June 9, 2008

Shade Resources

A book that I have had for years is George Schenk's The Complete Shade Gardener. A bit quirky at times, like his suggestions about growing a vegetable garden, but a very complete resource. Larry Hodgeson's book: Making the Most of Shade: How to Plan, Plant, and Grow a Fabulous Garden that Lightens up the Shadows is well rated in Amazon, but I have not had a chance to look at it, will review when I do. Garden books are a bit like cook books, lots of glossy photos sell the book, like super models in a cosmetics ad, they are aspirational, though I am not sure they often convert to action. An example of this is Ken Druse's The Natural Shade Gardener, a stunning set of photos of shade gardens, with lots of close-ups but not too much actual help in the garden. I did buy it, though, to me it was inspirational. Much more in Amazon. What are your favorites?

No comments: